2011-06-26

Meat & Potatoes #37

It was definitely nice to be back on the air this week--although it was quite a different show than usual.  I was required to play nicely with others, as I had two trainees in the station with me: Aiden and Kiera.  They will be taking over a Saturday late morning/ early afternoon slot, and I had to put them through their paces on the board today.  As I usually treasure my radio show as a form of alone-time, in which I get to impose my will upon the universe by making other people listen to the music I want to hear, it was an adjustment to stand back and teach people to run "my" show.  After thirty-seven shows, I definitely have a particular set of radioing habits...  Not that the music they chose was out of line with my usual taste; it just wasn't all me me me.  And I like my radio show to be all me me me.  It's my weekly gift to Dawson.

We played:

  1. Kid Koala--Vacation Island
  2. tUnE-yArDs--Little Tiger
  3. LCD Soundsystem--Dance Yrself Clean
  4. Mr Little Jeans--The Suburbs
  5. Braids--Lemonade
  6. Janis Joplin--Try
  7. Talking Heads--And She Was
  8. Joanna Newsom--The Book of Right On
  9. Neko Case--Hold On, Hold On
  10. Andrew Bird--Tenuousness
  11. The Tallest Man on Earth--The Wild Hunt
  12. Tom Waits--Hang On St. Christopher
  13. Chad van Gaalen--Willow Tree
  14. Woods--Blood Dries Darker
  15. Belle & Sebastian--Get Me Away, I'm Dying
  16. Roy Acuff--The Wabash Cannonball
  17. The Replacements--Waitress in the Sky
  18. The Staple Singers--I'll Take You There
  19. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings--I Dropped in to See What Condition My Condition Was In
  20. Gladys Knight--I Heard It Through the Grapevine
  21. Cake--Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town
  22. Hank Williams III--You're the Reason
  23. Dave Rawlings Machine--To Be Young (Is to be Sad, Is to be High0
  24. David Bowie--Heroes
  25. TV on the Radio--You
  26. MGMT--Electric Feel
  27. Cadence Weapon--Baby I'm Yours
  28. DJ Format--Ugly Brothers
  29. Paul McCartney--Maybe I'm Amazed
I was running things solo as of The Staple Singers, and tried my hand at another upside down drawing of a record album.  I may do this every week, although this week I should probably apologize to The Spectacular Johnny Horton.  This is my second attempt (which is actually better than the first):
 And the original:
And obviously if I'm going to do this every week then I have to play a track from whatever album I'm drawing.  Johnny Horton, just how spectacular are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment